One of the most common questions we get asked when building websites for new business owners or first time website owners is “What should I put in to my website for my business? I am not sure what to put up…” This is a very good question and it is something that we do cover when we get in to the development process of building the website for a customer.
Given that a big part of what we do is educating customers we decided that it would be a great idea to really cover a very generic website that is not selling products on the website. In otherwords a brochure styled site for a new business.
The question of “What should I put in to my website for my business” should really be a great thing for you to help truly identify what your business is about but more importantly it could be a great way to educate yourself on what your business does and how it is perceived by your potential and/or returning customers.
So to help answer this question and break it down in to bite size pieces here are a few things you should consider. The following questions you should ask yourself can help you develop a website structure and get the message you want across to your customers.
- When was your business started and why?
- What is it that you are selling or what are the services you are providing?
- Is there anything that you can offer to give your business credability if you are providing a service? A portfolio of past work maybe.
- How can you be found?
- Is there a series of questions that you get asked regularly?
- If you are going to have a “Request a quote” or a “quick enquiry” form Is there specific questions you would need to ask your customer if they are wanting to get a quote from you via the website?
- Questions your customers should ask vendors in the industry
- Are there things that you as the business owner or your business does in the community or gives to the community regularly. (This can be great on the company profile page)
From the above items to consider you are probably starting to work out very quickly as to what your website should contain in terms of page names. Now that you are probably working out a good website structure for your new website the next thing that can be guaranteed is that you will want to be on the first page of the major search engines.
Why would we bring up about the ranking on the first page of search engines? Well planning is important, especially when it comes to building your online presence. The best thing that you can do is collect some keyword ideas of what you believe your customers would search for when they are looking for your business. You can disregard your business name out of that list of keywords as you will probably find in most cases your site will be first in the search engines.
With all of this information that you have collated you now have something which you can take to your website design company. This information will not only help you get your website built quicker but more importantly when it comes time to getting the content and pictures together you want to see on your website you can also get a more accurate quote on what your website design requirements are.
If you are in this situation or are about to start building your new website give Suncoast Web Solutions a call on 07 5479 3888 or contact us via our contact us page.